Wednesday 11 November 2009

Making a Mark on Marseille

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=470582910&blogId=517284374

Click on the link and scroll down to the bottom of the page for a video of me speaking in French!

This is part of a project I'm taking part in, which from what I understand is in it's embryonic stages - all collecting and researching and stuff.  It's called "Le Défilé de Marques" which I think means something like the parade of brands, but I might very well be lost in translation.  From what I can understand, there's a group of artists who are doing some research into people - whether they wear a lot of branded clothes or not, how they feel within their own skin, how willing they are to change things about themselves etc etc.  Nina found out about it from a friend at school who knows someone involved with the project, so last thursday we went to a "Casting Citoyen" (public casting) way over on the other side of Marseille.  At the time I knew nothing about the project, just that we had to go, and take with us an object that has left some sort of mark on us, and that we'd be filmed talking about it and then dressed up and photographed accordingly.  And well, you know me!  I just thought great, let's do it!  Because why not?  I'm only here for a short while, and the more I can take part in the better.

The casting was happening over a few days, but Thursday was the only day we could go, and we very nearly didn't go, because it was getting late and we didn't think we'd get there in time.  BUT, we did go, and it's a good job we did!  I took as my object my wind-up racing royals (http://www.iwantoneofthose.com/wind-up-racing-royals/index.html) that Gill sent over to cheer me up when she heard I about my scary arrival in France - I thought that'd be a good idea, as they're pretty cool and very distinctly English! 

So, we arrived and we sat down and filled in a questionnaire, asking things like; do you wear make-up, do you wear perfume, do you have any tattoos, do you wear branded clothes, do you cut the labels out of your clothes, do you wear gloves when you wash up, do you like your reflection, what parts of yourself do you like/dislike, what is most important for you in life, why do you get up in the morning, etc etc etc.  And after that they took us into a little studio and made the video that you've just watched (right?) - one minute to introduce yourself, say how long you've lived in Marseille, explain your motivation, what is 'capital' for you in life, and to explain your object.  As you can see, I went slightly over that at 1:49!

Next, we were filmed walking a line marked out in tape on the floor, to see how we walk...

After that we went down into the photography studio area, where they had a white background and fancy professional lighting set up, and had a photograph taken showing our objects to the camera, and after that we went upstairs into the amazing Aladdin's cave dressing up section!  In this bit there were two women in white lab coats who were in charge of dressing each participant up according to their object and what they'd said about themselves.  They had EVERYTHING.  There were all sorts of mad clothes, shoes, hats, wigs, sunglasses, bags, props, paints - you name it, it was there!  They said that we could be dressed up as much or as little as we wanted - some people had gone really extreme, being painted from head to toe or wearing something they'd never usually go near, whereas other people refused to change anything.  I of course was 100% up for anything they suggested, and so was dressed up 'very English' because of my object (they loved it of course) and very colourful and 'stylish' because of my love of all things Glam - this involved a blonde curly wig, a crown, stockings painted onto my legs to match my dress, big shiny 70s boots and a lot of things being taped onto my dress - including my shoes!  Nina was a Cambodian turtle with an oriental shirt, red cheeks and a washing up bowl on her head.  We had some more photos and then we were done.

They took all our contact details, we signed release forms and they told us that they'll send us the photos by email soon, so as soon as I have them I'll upload them.  Then they're having a big party for everyone who's taken part on the 16th of December, which sounds like a lot of fun, AND since this is only the beginning of the project, they'll be doing loads more work that will cumulate in a big parade/show on the 24th of September next year.  Will I come back to take part?  Of course!

Also, my tutor suggested to me the other day that I try to get some work exhibited while I'm here, which sounds like a very crazy and very tempting idea - why not?  He also pointed a couple of ex-students in my direction, and they came and talked to me about an alternative fashion festival that they're putting on (that's fashion in the very broad sense) and said they'd like me to be involved, and talked about going to Lithuania with a group of artists next year to work and put on a show, but I'll tell you about that properly when I get some more information through.

All in all it feels like a lot of great opportunities are coming up, and I feel very lucky to be here - I wonder what's going to happen next?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.